Saturday, January 28, 2012

Girl Crushes

To help explain what a girl crush is, here is an excerpt from my childrens book "No, I'm Not A Lesbian: A Frumpy Straight Girl's Guide to Life"
When a girl loves another girl very very much, but in a "I wanna be your best friend" sort of way instead of "let's have sex" sort of way, we call this a GIRL CRUSH. Girl crushes are a completely normal part of life and should be embraced as long as you aren't a creeper and/or stalker.
I thoroughly explained my type regarding celebrity crushes, so I thought it would be important to show the celebrity girls some love too. Every girl has girl crushes, these are my famous ones:

My #1: Lisa Hannigan
Musician
(My post about her newest album here.)
Why: Her music is incredible, she's sweetly quirky, and
she uses phrases like "rusty custard".
What we'd do as besties: Walk around Ireland and go skydiving.

Cary Mulligan
Actress
Why: Watch "An Education" and you'll know.
Then watch "Never Let Me Go" because it's amazing.
What we'd do as besties: Travel to eastern Europe.

Amy Adams
Actress
 Why: She never sold-out to Hollywood perfection.
What we'd do as besties: Do crafts. She was raised 
Mormon so it's in her blood.

Marion Cotillard
Actress
Why: I admire her in every movie I've seen her in.
What we'd do as besties: Shopping in Paris.

New to the list: Jessica Chastain
Actress
Why: She's so incredibly beautiful in
The Tree of Life, and so incredibly silly in The Help.
What we'd do as besties: Play Bananagrams.

Honorable Mention: Emma Watson. She's just so pretty and British. Plus I see quotes I like on Pinterest that she may or may not have actually said.

Off the list this year is Zooey Deschanel. She's become too popular, and her voice is too whiny. I want to love her still, but I know if she weren't so drop-dead hot, I wouldn't be as interested. She needs to do more versatile/grittier/ugly roles or something.

Who are your girl crushes?

peace,
k.

4 comments:

  1. I have a girl crush on Katie Loveless. SERIOUSLY. I remember when it hit me, when I first met you and you were talking about movies. I'm glad you mentioned Zooey, I was wondering if she would make an appearance. She's an ex-crush for me, too. I have a girl crush on Jenny Lewis of Rilo Kiley and Rachel McAdams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RACHERS! It's THE BEST compliment to be called a girl crush. I love love love you! And Rachel McAdams used to be on my hate-list (I think because of that horrific Notebook movie), but recently I've been really warming up to her. She's pretty damn charming.

      Delete
  2. Great list!! I think Amy Adams is awesome for the same reasons. Jessica Chastain was perfect in The Help. And Kev and I were just talking about Marion Cotillard the other day -- why didn't Christopher Nolan make HER Catwoman instead of lame and pretentious Anne Hathaway? I mean, Marion's in the new Batman movie anyway...

    Maybe this girl crush of mine is pretty predictable, but mine is J.K. Rowling. It started for me back in college (like 10 years ago. Eek.). I loved her when I read the HP books, but the moment it turned to a girl crush was when I was waitressing at good ol' Los Hermanos and I'd frequently see 10-year-old kids waiting with their families, reading 500+ page books. Swoon. She got a generation of kids reading thousands of pages!! Still gives me goosebumps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MAN! I totally agree about Marion as Catwoman! Anne Hathaway is the worst! I dunno what Nolan's problem is with the women in Batman but they haven't been super awesome.

      I love that J.K. Rowling is your girl crush! I also have a lot of respect for anyone that can get millions of kids to read a whole series like that (Stephanie Meyer is not included). I'm going to do a list of "intellectual crushes" in a few weeks and I have a couple authors on there.

      Delete