Tuesday, July 26, 2011

DIY Earring Organizer

Well hello you cute little crafty vixens you! Here is a little "how to" for the earring organizer I made last weekend while I was crafting away my troubles. My problem was a lack of space I had for a jewelry box on my vanity. We all know jewelry is an out of sight out of mind deal so I obviously couldn't put my it in my closet or I'd never wear it. Instead I came up with this little ditty.
I'm an insanely busy university student with two jobs, so crafts should be CHEAP and EASY.  Because I'm an artist, crafts also need to be CUSTOMIZABLE. I encourage you to break the boundaries and add your own pizazz to this one! It's so easy! The possibilities are endless!

What You'll Need
A cheapo frame. Any size will do.
Spray paint of your choice.
Burlap. Enough to cover the back of the frame.
Lace (optional).
Hot glue.
Staple gun (although hot glue would work too).

STEP 1:
I got these frames at Wal-Mart for $3.00 each. (Because you don't need glass or backing for the frame, it would be worth it to check out D.I. or the dollar store. $6.00 was the bulk of my cost, so if you only spent .50, you'd be winning big time!)
After I removed everything that wasn't the actual framing, I spray painted them a muted kelly green-ish color (although it looks really bright and electric in the pictures). I wanted a tiffany blue, but they didn't have that color. Lame! The paint I used was a high gloss, but any would do. Cost of paint: $2.99.

STEP 2:
I was originally going to use lace as my backing, but I didn't find any that I liked at the store (and lace wouldn't be nearly as sturdy or cheap anyway). Instead I found some off-white burlap. I bought a half yard which was more than enough for two frames. Cost: a little over a dollar.
 Line up the burlap on the back of the frame and cut away. It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to fit with a little room to spare around the back of the frame.

STEP 3 (optional):
Because the holes on the burlap were a little bigger than some of the backs of my studs were, I hot glued on some lace trim for extra support. To match the frame, I spray painted one of the pieces of lace with the paint from the frame. (For my other frame which isn't pictured, I didn't use any lace.)

STEP 4:
Staple (or hot glue) the decorated burlap onto the back of the fully dried frame. Snip away any excess pieces of burlap and TA DA! You're done!
SO EASY!

peace,
k.

1 comment:

  1. Love love love this. So super cute! And that green is just perfect. Thanks for an awesome tutorial.

    Notes She Wrote

    ReplyDelete