Sunday, July 3, 2011

I'd Like To Bare My Testimony, I Know America Is True...

So I just moved to a new house. This means I get to attend a new singles ward...

*sigh*

For all of you No-Mos out there, singles wards are meat market churches for the lowly unmarried crowd in the Mormon church.

Today was fast and testimony meeting, and it ALL pretty much went a little something like this:

Hi, for those of you who don't know me I'm ______. 
(insert awkward attempt at humor)
I just wanted to get up and say how thankful I am for the freedoms we enjoy and the agency that our troops fight for daily. I know America is the land prepared for the gospel to come forth in these latter days. 
(insert long and strange story about freedom)
I'm just so thankful to live in America.
(close)

*sigh again*

So, first off, I know it's the 4th of July tomorrow and all... but what happened to... you know... Christ? Yeah, that minor character who atoned for everyone's sins or whatever? Isn't he sort of the point of why we come to church? Don't get me wrong, you can love America and freedom all you want, but don't bare your testimony about it at church! Yes, EVEN on the 3rd of July! Testimonies are about Jesus and Jesus wasn't even American (or Republican or caucasian).

Yes, America is cool. And freedom? Awesome. But if you're a Mormon, Christ did so much more than what America did any day. Let's keep MoMo props where MoMo props are due: our Savior, which was not America.

*gets off soap box*

No comments:

Post a Comment